Extracts From the Standing Rules of The Senate
Rule XXV, Standing Committees
1. The following standing committees shall be appointed at the commencement of each Congress and shall continue and have the power to act until their successors are appointed, with leave to report by bill or otherwise on matters within their jurisdictions:
(d)(1) Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs, to which committee shall by referred all proposed legislation, messages, petitions, memorials and other matters relating to the following subjects:
- Banks, banking, and financial institutions.
- Control of prices of commodities, rents and services.
- Deposit insurance.
- Economic stabilization and defense production.
- Export and foreign trade promotion.
- Export controls.
- Federal monetary policy, including the Federal Reserve System.
- Financial aid to commerce and industry.
- Issuance and redemption of notes.
- Money and credit, including currency and coinage.
- Nursing home construction.
- Public and private housing (including veterans housing).
- Renegotiation of Government contracts.
- Urban development and urban mass transit.
(2) Such Committee shall also study and review on a comprehensive basis, matters relating to international economic policy as it affects United States monetary affairs, credit, and financial institutions; economic growth, urban affairs, and credit, and report thereon from time to time.